I used my nursing cover a lot when I was breastfeeding Ava. I also used it when I was pumping... while driving and pumping... you get the picture. I had a bebe au lait nursing cover. I wanted to make a DIY nursing cover, but didn't have time while I was pregnant and I had even less time after Ava arrived. She is 11 months now, so I have a bit more free time:) I also have a *lot* of friends who are preggers, so I am making a few of these for them. Hope I can finish them all before I go to Louisiana!!! ;)
What you need:
1 1/4 yards of really cute fabric
16" piece of dress form (corset boning)
2 - 10" x 10" pieces of terry cloth
2 D rings for adjusting the strap
- Cut out the following size pieces from your cute fabric.
a) 9" x 5" - This is the short part that will hold the D rings to your cover.
b) 27" x 5" - Start tapering it off at around 16". This is the longer strap on the nursing cover.
c) 3" x 38" - This is the piece of fabric you will use to sew the boning to the cover.
d) 38" x 29" - This is your large piece of fabric for the body of the nursing cover.
- Flip parts (a) and (b) in half right side facing.
- Sew together long open edge with a 1/4" seam allowance. Piece (b) should taper off at one end, so that end will have a finished edge when flipped right side out.
- Flip them right side out and iron flat.
- Sew a 1/4" seam around the edges to finish.
- Fold strap (a) in half short way and place the D rings inside.
- Sew 1/4" hem at the top of the fold on strap (a) to sew the D rings in place.
- Fold part (c) in half right side facing.
- Sew together long open edge with a 1/4" seam allowance.
- Flip right side out and iron flat.
- Insert dress form inside piece (c).
- Fold the terry cloth squares each in half and pin to the bottom corners of fabric piece (d) on the wrong side of the fabric.
- Hem around the edges of fabric piece (d). While doing this, sew the fabric triangles into the corners of the bottom two sides of fabric piece (d).
- Now take fabric piece (c) with dress form in the middle and pin it to the top of fabric piece (d).
- Sandwich straps in place between piece (c) and piece (d). They should each be at one end of the dress form, which is centered in the middle.
- Fold the ends of piece (c) under and sew a 1/4" seam on top and bottom of piece (c) to connect it to piece (d) and to attach the straps to the nursing cover.
- Sew a finish stitch on each side of the dress form to keep it in place.
- On the terry cloth triangles, sew a U shape as shown in the drawing above to create a pocket and to better secure the terry cloth to the nursing cover.